8.10.2012

Changing: Part 1 - Chaos and Failure are Brothers

I recently came across a blog post by Karen Martin entitled "Cure the (Self-Inflicted) Chaos First" Here's an excerpt from her entry which hit home with me.
"The reason (for failure) isn’t a flaw in the methodologies, but a flaw inside of companies. Organizations in all sectors fail to meet their full potential because of self-inflicted chaos....I’m talking about chronic long-term chaos brought about by ambiguity, lack of focus, inconsistency—habits and behaviors that organizations can control but choose not to."
 I couldn't agree with Karen more. Standish, Gartner, Ernst & Young, Accenture, all the big consulting firms and a host of university studies indicate that only about 30% of projects which seek to instill permanent change in organizations actually experience some level of effectiveness.


The flip side of this is 70% fail. Now I don't know about you, but that's pretty depressing. I mean 70%!!! What's up with that? Are we all so dumb, stupid, hard headed that we can't see the need for change to improve our condition? Or are we so beaten down that we have given up entirely on getting any change done at all?

I'm not sure what that answer is, but I can tell you I have found a couple of ways to effectively and positively change companies for the better. Yes it is real. Not some hocus-pocus or new secret scientific principle only I know about. It's right inside of all of us. The problem is we haven't been trained on how to use what we already know.

So this is a teaser post. I'll have a lot more over the next few days and weeks to expose this simple, yet effective public domain knowledge. You will smack your head and say "Why didn't I think of that before!!"

So cheers and keep watching. Read Chaos and Change are Brothers - Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment